Friday, July 08, 2011

Why I Grew Up Idolizing Scottie Pippen

Scottie Pippen
Source: www.cbsnews.com


Growing up in the 90’s, I was one of those hardcore Chicago Bulls fans. But, unlike everyone who wanted to be like Mike, I was a little different because I wanted to be like Scottie Pippen.




Scottie was one of the best all- around players ever. He was that guy who could do everything extremely well. His typical stat line would look like this: 20 points, 8 rebounds, 8 assists, 4 steals, and 2 blocks. Yet, he was always regarded as Michael’s sidekick. He was always the #2 guy. He was never assigned to take the big shot. He did not get as much publicity as MJ did. Yet, without him, they would not have won any of those 6 championships.

The 1998 Bulls had a hard time with the Pacers. And in game 7, it was Scottie Pippen who shut down Indiana’s point guard Mark Jackson and the Bulls finally defeated the Pacers. In 1997, it was Scottie Pippen who stole the ball towards the end which won them the championship. In 1991, Scottie did a magnificent job in guarding Magic Johnson in the finals, and the Bulls won in five games. During Chicago’s final run in ’98, they struggled mightily when Scottie was injured. It was only when he came back from the injury when the Bulls finally looked like the Bulls of old, and eventually, went on to win their sixth title in 8 years.

Still, at the end of the day, the Bulls will always be remembered as Michael’s team. And I’m pretty sure that Scottie will not even be bothered by it. Why? It is simply because he has always been unselfish. And his unselfishness made him the perfect partner for the game’s greatest.

Scottie did not mind giving the ball up because he always looked at the bigger picture which was winning championships. And he ended up with 6 titles at that. “Scottie was the ultimate teammate,” according to former Bulls guard Steve Kerr. Yes, he was, because he played the game the way it should be played. Basketball is a team game and everyone has an important role to play regardless of how big or how small it may be.

At a very young age, Scottie Pippen’s game taught me how to be unselfish and how to be a great teammate. In fact, I grew up playing the game the way he did. I was never the type who wanted to shoot the ball all the time. In fact, I was happy to just score 6 or 8 points as long I knew that I did everything else well like I grabbed some boards, dished out assists, provided screens, played good defense, got a few swipes and probably, had a block.

I grew up idolizing Scottie Pippen because I could relate to him so much. When I was younger, it wasn’t that easy for me to grow up with an older brother who was practically great at everything. I always ended up as the sidekick. I guess that was the reason why I always liked Robin more than Batman. But then, it was in seeing Scottie play that I realized that being a sidekick wasn’t that bad after all. It was just a matter of acceptance and seeing the bigger picture. 

Just like Michael and Scottie, my brother and I are teammates and partners. I have always idolized my brother so much and he has always been there for me. Just like any sidekick, whenever I got myself into major trouble, it was him who was always there to save me. Still, he never, ever made me feel that I couldn’t do anything great. And because of this, I have learned how to be comfortable both, with my own strengths and also with my limitations.

Yes, it is very true that I grew up idolizing Scottie Pippen. Yet, more than the championships and the individual achievements, what I truly appreciate though is how Scottie helped me to be unselfish. This unselfishness helped me a lot in accepting myself for who I am and it paved the way for me to become a better teammate, a better brother, and most importantly, a better person.

Like Michael and Scottie, my brother and I have also won a lot of battles together. And even though, I was always the one assisting and he was the one taking and making the big shots, I didn’t really mind. For at the end of the day, we always won together and we knew very well that we would always be there for each other.
         

16 comments:

  1. Thanks Jok! I'm impressed with all the articles you've done so far as they are very insightful and well-written. Keep on writing and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks fuy!:) Thanks for supporting the blog and for always being there.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already heard of Scottie Pippen before, but I always wanted to become Air Jordan. Nice blog, Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great, I love your insght..Now I come to realize you don't have to be the leader or the president or the top guy for you to make a difference.. Just be yourself and do your best and the best will come back to you..continue inspiring people ..truly an Idol..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you are an MJ fan because you wlways request for MJ goodies as souvenirs..So it was Scottie all the time..honestly I am proud of you because you know where you stand and you were able to harness your good points which became your key to success.. keep it up..looking forward to your next issue..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Oli!:) I didn't know you wanted to be like Mike!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I totally agree that you do not have to be the top guy in order to make a difference. As long as you accept your role and you choose to be a good teammate, then, you will definitely have a great chance of making a difference.:) Thanks for supporting the blog!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I didn't necessarily request for MJ goodies, it was just that they were the ones given to me then.:) But, of course, I appreciated all of them.:) Thanks po for supporting the blog!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! :]

    I remember the surname Pippen as one of the players I could choose when playing NBA in Nintendo. Tagal na no? Pero yes, he was one of those selected NBA players that were included to be in that game. Meaning, he was undoubtedly one of the greats. One doesn't have to be famous like MJ to bring championship titles to the team. What Pippen did was the thing to do. :]

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow Onie! you write really well.. =) It's really a nice article. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think NBA Jam probably was that game you played in Nintendo Lucille. Scottie was not as famous as MJ, but yes he did help them win championships which was the more important thing.:) Thanks for visiting the blog Lucille.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Dra. Parlan, thanks for visiting the blog. I'm really glad that you liked the articles.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yo dude,

    Sorry to burst your bubble but check out the 1994-1995 Eastern Conference Semifinals vs. NYK. 'nuff said.

    (Scottie Pippen was a crybaby.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. No problem dude. Obviously, you are not a Pippen fan. And, I have no problem with that.
    First of all, I think it was during the 1993- 1994 season, and not the '94-95 season. Secondly, I didn't say that Scottie was perfect. And finally, even if he cried after that series against the Knicks, what's the big deal with it anyway? Was it because he cried? Isn't it that even the greatest of players end up crying when they lose?
    Just to remind you dude, the Bulls won 3 straight championships from '96 to '98. And the only people I saw crying were those that they defeated.:)
    'nuff said, I guess.:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wasn't calling Scottie Pippen a "crybaby" literally. I was referring to the incident where he refused to get into the game when Phil Jackson didn't draw the game winning play for him. He refused to take a backseat to Toni Kukoc who eventually took the game winning shot. And made it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok, I get your point dude.:) I thought you were just trash- talking or something when you were first posted it... Anyway, if I am not mistaken, there was also like a "throwing the chair" incident or something. I thought that was also immature and selfish on Scottie's part just because the play wasn't called for him. I have to admit that that incident kinda ruined the 93- 94 season of Scottie, which was his best season statistically. Anyway, thanks for the clarification.:)

    ReplyDelete